Night's Dark Terror
Things that most PCs and NPCs know (or at least believe to be true) about the world around them. In no particular order:
- Approximately 30 years ago, Stefan Karameikos, a Thyatian nobleman occupied and assumed rulership of what was then Traladara. Up until that time, it had been an independent backwater nation.
- Several Thyatian nobles followed Duke Stefan and were granted fiefdoms within the Duchy. This displaced several Traladaran landowners and nobles.
- Stefan I’s rule has been fairly evenhanded, attempting to unify the two people’s as simply “Karameikans”, but he has met with limited success. Many of his nobles are less fair than he.
- The Church of Karameikos is the state religion and was created by the Duke to distinguish itself from the Thyatian church. It is one of the two main religious institutions of the duchy.
- The Church of Traladara is the religion of most native Traladarans (some, but not many, have converted to the CoK). Probably 75% of the population follows this church’s teachings.
- There is a fringe religion known as the Cult of Halav, which believes that Duke Stefan is the legendary King Halav reborn and is destined to lead Traladarans back to their Golden Age. Most considered these zealots insane, but their clerics do receive divine magic.
- Traladara was once Traldar. A land founded by three legendary leaders. Halav, the warrior king, Zirchev the hunter, and Petra the healer. These three brought the natives out of primitivism and raised an army to repel an army of beast-men (gnolls, most likely) that swept out of the wilderness and threatened to destroy the people.
- The Iron Ring is a nefarious, shadowy organization said to be slavers and worse. Rumors persist that they operate out of the Black Eagle Barony; a fiefdom on the west coast of Karameikos ruled by Baron Hendricks, Duke Stefan’s cousin.